Re: KDE install on potato - still helpless newbie

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 03:11:27PM -0600, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> > Tigger:~# apt-get install task-kde kdebase

> > Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >   kdebase: Depends: kdebase-libs (>= 4:2.1.1-0) but it is not going to
> > be installed
> >            Depends: kdelibs3 (>= 4:2.1.1-0) but it is not going to be
> > installed
>
> these are the 2 you have to deal with so try:
>   apt-get install kdelibs3 kdebase-libs
> and if that works (which it should) then do your apt-get install task-kde
> or just use dselect and all of this would be avoided.

Doesn't this defeat the whole point of APT - i.e. resolving dependencies
automatically? I mean, if apt-get is unable to resolve a conflict (because
it cannot find/download/install some needed packages), why should deslect
(which uses apt-get) do any better?

Just asking ;)

--
" ...screams erupted at a Seattle hotel where Microsoft founder Bill Gates
was addressing an education and technology conference. (...)"