Re: Problems with nvidia 0.9-767

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 04:00:34PM +0200, Santtu Hyrkk? wrote:
> KDE doesn't seem to work with NVIDIA 0.9-767 X driver. kdesktop and
> other kde processes crash immediately when started. Everything works
> fine with NVIDIA-0.9.6, though. I'm running latest unstable with
> kernel 2.4.2 if that matters.
>
> KDE is from latest Debian packages, kernel and NVIDIA driver I have
> compiled from source.

To be specific: 0.9.6 does not support the XFree 4 RENDER extention
(though the nv driver provided with XFree does).  When KDE starts up,
it sees that the RENDER extension is not present, and does not try to
use Freetype or any other anti-aliasing font technologies.  Thus , KDE
loads up find.

With 0.9-767, RENDER support is now present, and thus KDE will try to
load anti-aliased fonts by default (unless you change an option before
trying).  But as pointed out, libfreetype6 with the 3/8/01 date from
unstable is broken, and causes most all of KDE to crap out.

Visit the stable try and pick up libfreetype6-2.0.1 , which does not
break, and will work great with the 0.9-767 video driver.  (At least,
for me during the last 24 hrs.)

--
Dr. Michael K. Neylon :: mneylon@wtower.com :: http://pinky.wtower.com/mneylon
//  "Pinky, you've left the lens cap of your mind on again." The Brain