Starting programs from menu doesn't always work

Some programs, not all, seem to only start once from the menu.

If I try the second time, nothing happens - they just fail to start.
I can't find any error message (for instance there is nothing in
.xsession-errors).

If I log out and log back in again, I can use the menu one more time.

If I start the program from konsole, it starts no problem.

One programme that always exhibits this behaviour is the gimp.  I have
a version compiled from source and installed into /usr/local/bin.

I have no idea whats wrong - and therefore how to fix it.  Help
anyone?

Alan

alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandler.u-net.com