Re: font MADNESS

> 1. with that many fonts, _everything_ kde slows to a crawl. launching
> konqueror took upwards of a minute. i could open netscape 4.x, get the
> info i needed, and close it before konqueror would start
> sometimes. this went away when i dropped down to ~8 or so tt
> fonts. maybe a bug in xfs-xtt?

Just for fun, remove all your fonts, or at least 1550 of those 1600, log in from a
2nd computer using telnet, and run top

Now log in to KDE2.1 and you will notice that xfs-xtt will be run on 50% or more for
a _lot_ of the time while KDE2.x starts.
Replace xfs-xtt with xfs, and you will see the same. Use X without fontserver, and X
will use that CPU time.

Now log in to Gnome, while watching the system's behaviour on a remote top, and see
how xfs hardly uses and CPU time at all.

So it's something in Qt/KDE which makes X do a _lot_ of font-rendering when there
isn't even anything to be shown.

Now I have only a few fonts installed, no more than 50. But with 1600 fonts, ayee,
that's gonna hurt.

> 2. i think this may also be a bug in xfs-xtt, but font configuration
> dialogs for fixed-width fonts don't work properly. they only show one
> font, "fixed," which doesn't actually exist. it just seems to match

It always does this, for me too. I have xfs installed. It didn't matter whether I
turned off the fontserver or not. It's again some bug in KDE or Qt.

With regards,

--Tim