Re: Little advice for AA

Thibaut Cousin wrote:
>   I've read everything recently about AA, and made it work out-of-the-box at
> home.
>   But at work, no such luck. The only thing I can think of is the xserver. At
> home I use the mga driver, at work it is the ati driver. Is it possible that
> AA works with some drivers and not others ? Something to do with the RENDER
> extension (which works at home but not at work) ?

The Debian sid (unstable) Xfree4.0.2 version does not offer the
Render extension (which is necessary for AA) when you use a
non-Radeon non-Rage128 card (like all Mach64-based cards). It will
be in the next major Xfree version (still some time away) and is
already available in X's CVS. And it works (I compiled my own
Xserver and am running AA'ed KDE right now).

It's patch no. 7 in the Changelog on Xfree's CVS web page, you might
be able to extract it and patch the Debian sources of Xfree 4.0.2
with it.

Hope this helps,

Yours Malte #8-)

PS: Radeon and r128 *should* offer the Xrender extension in Debian
unstable...