Re: KDE2.1 for Progeny?

On Thursday 08 March 2001 08:49, you wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 00:15:52 +0000,
>
> John Gay <johngay@eircom.net> said:
>     > I've found the KDE2.0 currently available to be inadequit.
>
> You're not the first to complain about this, but i'm afraid
> nothing can be done about this yet. KDE isn't the only thing
> that' slightly out-of-date, but we're frozen right now so that
> can't be changed.

Well I took my chances. I tried installing Brahms from Ivan's KDE2.0 list,
but this all but killed my KDE, as it loaded the new qt2.3 libs. This is a
known issue that has received lots of discussion on the list. Now that my
desktop was gone, I did an apt-get dist-upgrade with Ivan's source.list
included. Thsi installed loads of stuff, and now I've got a brand new KDE2.1
desktop back!!!

I've only just started using it, so I have no feedback at the moment, but
I'll keep you posted. I do know that this fixes the problem with konqueror in
Progeny not opening http. Other than that I'll just have to see how
everything works out.

> We've always planned to do something Debian doesn't: provide an
> "updates" apt source to add updated packages to a stable system.
> Some of the first things to go into updates will likely be
> updated GNOME, KDE, and Mozilla packages.

I would recommend using Ivan's sources for the KDE updates, as I think they
are very well packaged and Ivan has done an excellent job bringing everything
together with the latest libs and tools.

Cheers,

	John Gay