Changing time format on clock applet

Has anyone ever done this successfully?  More than once?

I just can't handle 24hr time for day-to-day use, so I tried to change
that under the clock's time & data format menu.  After completely wiping
my .kde directory and starting over, I was able to make the change from
24hr to 12 hr time.  But since then, I've tried to remove the seconds
field, and add an am/pm indicator to no avail.  Even if I exit kde
immediately after the change, and then log in again, the clock looks like
it did before.

Is this a known bug, that once you set the time format, you can't make
another change stick?  Can this be changed manually?