Re: Potentially buggy 2.1 powerpc packages

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 04:14, Rick Cook wrote:

And now he is answering himself.

> Since I don't really know how that may have manifested itself over the last
> several days, it is possible that some of the binary-powerpc packages are
> corrupted.

After removing the offending memory, doing a full re-install of 2.2r2, an
apt-get dselect-upgrade (with the selections exported from the old database),
apt-get dist-upgrade, I am approximately back to my pre-DIMM failure state. I
obviously have not yet tested everything, but the things I stumbled over
quickly seem to be gone. They must have been gremlins introduced to my
filesystems by the failing DIMM.

The only package I found that would not install was kfilereplace. After
rebuilding it tonight, it still doesn't install:

Setting up kfilereplace (0.6.0-0.potato2) ...
cannot open dhelp file '/usr/doc/kfilereplace/html/.dhelp': at
/usr/sbin/install-docs line 559.
dpkg: error processing kfilereplace (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2

> Any one who is using the binary-powerpc packages, please send bug reports
> my way first. It may be that the build process had a memory error...

I think any powerpc users should still mail me reports of any anomalies they
run across.

> The rest of the bad news is that this will probably delay the potato ISO
> image creation process.

Other than maintaining my rsync tree (not on the powerpc), I have not
accomplished anything toward completing the binary-powerpc tree to support
the ISO image goal.

Rick
--
rcook@ntlug.org