Re: Ok, KDE2 won't start.

Hi,

> > > what version of libqt/kdelibs/kdebase do you have installed?
> >
> > Well I've downgraded back to beta - but here's the list of packages
> > listed in /var/cache/apt/archives that were installed:
> >
> > kdebase-libs_4%3a2.1-final-1_i386.deb
> > kdebase_4%3a2.1-final-1_i386.deb
> > kdelibs3_4%3a2.1-final-1_i386.deb
> > libarts-alsa_4%3a2.1-final-1_i386.deb
> > libarts_4%3a2.1-final-1_i386.deb
> > libkmid-alsa_4%3a2.1-final-1_i386.deb
> > libkonq3_4%3a2.1-final-1_i386.deb
> > libqt2.2_2%3a2.3.0-beta1-2_i386.deb
> > libqt2_2%3a2.3.0-beta1-2_i386.deb
>
> hmmm...how did you get libarts and libarts-alsa installed at the same
> time... weird...that shouldn't happen.

Maybe I got it by accident. When a new package is upgraded dselect seems to
default to choosing libarts or similar. One has to manually override it and
change to libarts-alsa to get the right package. There's another *-alsa one
that cops the same treatment.

> even so..that is just sound...the versions you have should have no
> problems... it doesn't make sense...
>
> Ivan

Bummer... thats what I thought. I actually get a white screen and the startup
wav. It appears to fail trying to load the panel.

Its also a bitch to mess with as there is a lot of wasted time uninstalling
stuff. I actually purged the entire KDE setup and tried installing from the
new one from scratch. Still did the same thing, so that ruled out any strange
config I may have had in my home dirs.

Whats the minimum I need to run KDE? I could try a purge tomorrow and see if
I can get it going with the minimum.

--
Cheers,

	Rick