Re: Desktop disappears, everything else works

On Friday 23 February 2001 09:49, Thibaut Cousin wrote:
>   Personaly, I would do a purge instead of a simple removal. Moreover, I
> had similar problems which were solved by destroying all kde-related
> folders in /tmp and the .kde folder in the user's home. Try any of these...

Still didn't work, and I managed to destroy my setup (virtual desktop names,
color scheme, clock settings, custom task bar icons... ).  This is just the
kind of thing that I expect to avoid when dealing with "stable" code.

Sorry, had to vent a little.

Just to clarify what I did this time:

/etc/init.d/kdm stop
mv /home/rguthr/.kde    /tmp
rm -r /tmp/*                        dumb, dumb dumb!
apt-get remove `cat packages.removed.last.time ` --purge
apt-get install `cat packages.removed.last.time`
/etc/init.d/kdm start

User: rguthr
password: *******
verified that "kde2" was chosen.
Go!

Still no desktop icons, or any thing related to the background, but the rest
of the environment functions as it should.