Strange thing with KNode

I have KNode 0.4beta3 (from KDE 2.01) and I have a big problem with it.
When I click in one of the subscribed groups it takes a lot of time for the
list of messages to be displayed. The more messages a group has more time it
takes (for example, in a group with 825 messages it takes 2 minutes).

I downloaded the source code of the stable version from
http://knode.sourceforge.net/ (version 0.3.3) and I have compiled it today.
When I ran it I had a very big surprise: now when I click in one the groups
the list of message is displayed almost instantaneous!

Not only that, now I can even see some messages in html which I couldn't see
before, and in general I think this version is faster (and I compile it with
no optimization!). So, why the version 0.4beta3 is much slower?

But unfortunately the version 0.3.3 has its own problems, and now I want to
try a newer version. Which version of knode is in KDE 2.1beta?

If I get the source code, could I compile it with the kdelibs from KDE 2.01
or should I get the kdelibs from KDE 2.1 too?

Where can I get a tar.gz with the sources of knode only?
If I follow the links in http://knode.sourceforge.net/ I arrive to
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/snapshots/current/ but in there there's not a knode
package but a big kdenetwork (and this is another thing I will never
understand, why the hell they group small applications into big packages?, I
only see disadvantages).

--
Ricardo Villalba
rvm@linuxfan.com