Re: KDM woes

Le Jeudi 11 Janvier 2001 02:36, Brandon Beretta a écrit :
> I am having problems with KDM :(
>
> KDM starts correctly on boot, allows any user to login, KDE desktop works
> well - in short all is fine.
>
> Logging out causes the problem. If you logout, KDE closes down to a blank
> screen, KDM does not redisplay the login screen. Both X and consoles are
> "lost".
>
> To regain the system, you have to login via telnet/ssh, kill both X and
> KDM, then restart KDM to login again. Most frustrating.
>
> Anyone have a clue as to what can be wrong / what I have done wrong?

  I had a problem before Christmas which was exactly that : the problem was
XFree86, not KDE. XFree86 4.0.1-7 worked, but all later versions of 4.0.1 (-8
to -11) did not. To see if it is the problem you have, make the following
test :

- Start in text mode, without X.
- Type startx, let X start and then kill it with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
- If you have the problem, xinit won't be able to kill the xserver. There
will be an error message about it : "Xserver too slow to respond..."

  Because the xserver can't be killed, kdm cannot restart when logging out.
The problem is solved with the available XFree86 4.0.2 packages.

--
Thibaut Cousin
email : cousin@in2p3.fr

			Nightwish        (http://www.nightwish.com)