Re: Problems building kdebase from source using Potato

On Saturday 30 December 2000 10:03 pm, Gordon Sadler wrote:

> Not positive here why this happened, but make sure you have kdelibs3-dev
> installed prior to even attempting to build kdebase from source. Also
> ensure you use $(OPTION TO GETROOT) debian/rules binary.

I do have kdelibs3-dev installed. I don't however have task-kde-devel as this
gives errors with unresolved dependencies. There have been a couple of posts
to the list about this but no solution that I have seen.  I do have the
obvious packages like libkonq-dev (i.e. I selected anything which looked
relevant). I am building from a Root Console window, so I'm root already when
running debian/rules binary.

> > So although I only downloaded one source package I seem to have got
> > twelve binaries. I wasn't expecting this. What is happening here?
>
> This is expected, when you download the source you got kdebase, which
> is the source for a multi-binary package. One of the binaries it will
> produce is konqueror. Right now it isn't very feasible to try to break
> konqueror out of the and build it by itself.

That's explained then. I wasn't sure whether this was a sign that I had
something wrong, but it isn't.

> Make sure you use the debian/rules binary target, if not you will not
> have the proper environment set prior to build. As far as patching the
> source goes, I haven't tried myself, but if it continues to give you
> problems I suggest you attempt to build it without patching first.
> If that works then debian/rules clean, patch, debian/rules binary
> again.

These problems are with the unpatched source. But I've had a lot of false
starts on this so I've just downloaded the latetest source package again and
will start from fresh in case.

Thanks for your input.

Regards
David