Kmail doesn't start up

When I lauch Kmail (on my home machine) from either the menus or the command
line, I get nothing.  No errors, and only the little spinning disk icon when
launched from the menu.  I've looked through the docs that I could find on
kmail, and only "kmail --help" produces anything that approaches a listing of
options for debugging.

Any ideas what would cause kmail to just fork to the background and then
quit?  What about raising the debug level?

I'm certain that this is my fault, as I've installed kde & kmail on both my
work machine and my home machine, and only my home installation exhibits this
problem.
--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.