Konqueror + web auth question

Can someone explain to me how Konqueror works with website passwords
(HTTP_AUTH stuff) ? Every version I've used pops up multiple auth
requests (one for the page, plus one for each image on the page) and
doesn't seem to remember the damn things.

Since I spend most of my life working on development websites with password
protected access, this is really annoying!

Is it possible to get Konqueror to behave like other browsers and remember
the passwords (from page to page, upon browser exit/reload, and across
system reboots) ?

Thanks

--
Nick Smith, Webmaster, Climbers.Net UK.          http://www.climbers.net/
Low-cost Internet services for the climbing and outdoor pursuits industry