Switching default-java to OpenJDK7

Hi Team

At the Ubuntu Developer Summit last week we had a session to discuss
whether the current development release for Ubuntu was the right point
in time to switch default-java to OpenJDK7.

As OpenJDK7 and Oracle Java 7 are much closer in terms of
codebase/compatibility than OpenJDK6/Sun Java 6 the consensus from the
session was that this would be a good switch to make as this release of
Ubuntu will be supported for 5 years.

However, this was qualified by the need to test compatibility both at
build time and run time to support this transition.  The state of Java7
on ARM is also key for Ubuntu (and will feed into this decision).

I have conducted a Ubuntu precise rebuild test with default-jdk switched
to use openjdk-7 and at the moment there are around ~100 packages
which fail to build from source (see [1]).

Is anyone in the team making Java 7 transition plans for Debian?  Or
indeed does anyone have any opinion on whether this release of Debian is
the right point in time to switch default-java to openjdk-7?

My current 'feel' is that there is a lot of work to make this transition
happen (and for Ubuntu this would need to be completed by early Feb 2012
due to release milestones associated with new features).

Let me know what you think

Cheers

James

[0] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-p-java