Introduction (was: RFP: eclipse-shelled)

Hi Java Team ;-)

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 08:45:33AM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> On 2011-09-17 07:25, Fernando C. Estrada wrote:
> > Hi Roman,
> >
> > I'm interested to see ShellEd in Debian, is there any progress on
> > packaging?, need some help?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your efforts to package ShellEd for Debian ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > P.S. If you are no longer interested I could take care of it.
>
> Hi,

Hi Niels,

> To my knowledge no one has been working on this.  If you want to work on
> it, feel free to take it.  I will gladly assist you with our limited
> tool support (eclipse-helper from javahelper).  Also please use eclipse
> 3.7 (in experimental) as basis for the work, as eclipse in sid (3.5.2)
> is uninstallable.

I had eclipse from Sid and worked ok, then I uninstalled it and
install from experimental, but now my eclipse doesn't recognize anything
(like JDT for example), the only "problem" for the installation was the
notification of #641378. What do you mean by uninstallable? (maybe this
is related with my current problem).

> Looking at [Fedora]'s packaging, it seems that ShellEd depends on
> eclipse-dltk and eclipse-manpage.  Neither are (to my knowledge) in Debian.

You're right, this package is not "easy" based on dependencies,
eclipse-dltk #551855 depends on eclipse-mylyn #581422, and if I'm right
eclipse-manpage is part of eclipse-linuxtools #593285.

I want to collaborate in Java packaging so I want to be a member of the
Java Team, my main interests in this moment are Eclipse related but any
other task is fully welcome, I'm already subscribed at debian-java and
pkg-java-maintainers mailing lists, currently I'm watching the Java
related videos from DebConf10 [1-5].

As introduction my name is Fernando, I'm 28 years old and live in Mexico
City, I work as a Java Developer for an Insurance Company (unfortunately
not FLOSS related). Currently I'm a member of l10n-spanish, publicity,
and other Debian activities like admin of ask.debian.net, debian.mx,
etc., but so far no development (packaging) activity.

Any recommendations on how to start to collaborate will be very useful,
mainly to know the priorities of the team and be able to join my efforts
in the same direction.

Thanks for your attention!

Regards,

[1] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1285_The_Java_Packaging_Nightmare.ogv
[2] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1290_The_Free_Java_Jigsaw_Puzzle.ogv
[3] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1292_Debian-Java_BoF_Session.ogv
[4] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1293_Packaging_with_javahelper.ogv
[5] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1294_Debian-java_policy_changes.ogv
--
Fernando C. Estrada

Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good excuse
for some of the brain-damages of minix.
(Linus Torvalds to Andrew Tanenbaum)