Re: java2-runtime in main

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 03:08:35PM -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> On 2/4/06, Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 12:36:55PM -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> > > Now that gij 4.1 can run many java2 mainstream applications, such as
> > > Azureus, is debian-java ready to provide a package in main that
> > > provides java2-runtime?
> >
> > We should get rid of this numbered javaX-runtime. This doesnt really
> > help these days anyway.
>
> Should applications simply depend on java-runtime then, instead of
> java2-runtime?

That is not decided yet. We started to discuss this at last DevJam
meeting. I hope can discuss this more at FOSDEM and come to conclusion
we can put into our policy. The main idea was to provide java-runtime
for proprietary runtimes and classpath-runtime for free runtimes. This
has to be thought out more before we change the policy and any exisitng
package.

Cheers
Michael