Re: Packaged PPower4

Dear Klaus,

I think that PPower4 is an excellent piece of software that I use regularly
to generate presentations in my Debian GNU/Linux system.

As a result, I tried to package it for added convenience, since it seems to
work flawlessly with recent versions of kaffe and sablevm (contrary to what
is said in the PPower4 homepage -- it perhaps wasn't updated in the last
few months). The package that I have now is available at
<http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/debian/>.

Anyway, as a requirement for the package being considered to be included in
Debian, its sources must be provided and I couldn't find the sources at
<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/ppower4/download.html>, even
though the code seems to be licensed under the GPL.

So, I would like to know if you could put the source code on-line so that I
could try to see if building and packaging it with Free tools is possible
now and, perhaps, have it included in Debian.

Below is a brief comment of one of the discussions that I had with people
on Debian mailing lists:

On Oct 29 2004, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Whoah.  So there's no source code?  Presumably your package is going
> in non-free then?  The jar file distributed by upstream contains GPL
> code (GNU getopt) without source, so it probably isn't distributable
> even in non-free.
>
> However, according to the ppower4 web site:
>
>      The post processing software is written in Java and it is free
>      (refer to the GNU general public license).
>
> You might want to ask the author for the source since it's apparently GPLed.
>
> Cameron.

Thanks in advance, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: Please keep me on the Cc: lists, if possible.
  Rogério Brito - rbrito@ime.usp.br - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito