Re: Free JREs

Mariano García <mariano.garcia <at> optivamedia.com> writes:

> Hi all,

Hola Mariano,

> * I want to try a free jre (i think something like kaffe). What is the
> better free jre? I mean, I have some programs made with Sun JRE, so I
> want to try the most compatible free jre with Sun jre.

There is no single best in a global sense, all free runtimes have specific
advantages and disadvantages. Try them out, and use what works for you. Bug
reports are welcome, too :)

As noone has access to JRE's compatiblity tests, noone can say how compatible
any free runtime is.

> * If I use Kaffe (for example) Can I use java debian package like
> eclipse, argouml, ... ?

You can't use all of debian java packages with free runtimes yet, unfortunately.
There are many reasonas for this, some of which depend on the upstream of the
respective programs, and some of which depend on the upstream of free runtimes .
For example, some programs have parts that are not written in portable Java. In
other cases free runtimes lack specific functionality required by those
packages. But you're most welcome to help with the work associated with pushing
more java packages into main!

cheers,
dalibor topic