Re: RFP: jrockit -- A virtual machine for Java

-----Original Message-----
From: Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org>
To: Johan Walles <walles@mailblocks.com>
Cc: debian-java@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:13:03 +0200
Subject: Re: RFP: jrockit -- A virtual machine for Java

Johan Walles wrote:
"2 (iii) Distributor may modify the Software in accordance with the Documentation solely to allow for interoperability with Distributor’s internal MIS systems."

seems to prohibit distribution of packages. In practice, packaging
3rd part software not written for Debian usually means making a tweak or two to the software to get it to fit into the distribution. The word 'internal' seems to indicate that such modifications may not be distributed to others. On a side note, what is MIS?

From everything2.com:

"
This represents "Management Information System." This is generally a system based on a mainframe or minicomputer. Some companies have a department labeled "MIS" that may serve various puposes in the company, generally networking related.
"

Debian's apt infrastructure would probably qualify, which would solve the problems of packaging and derivative works.

"Distributor may not disclose the results of any performance
benchmarks to any third party without BEA’s prior written consent."

This would speak against using it in buildds to build java packages.
The buildd results and timings are public.

I thought the buildds didn't build stuff in non-free? And even if they did, the "build" process for JRockit would only consist of taking a JRockit tar file distributed by BEA and shuffle the files into a Debian package. Thus, the build times wouldn't contain any benchmarking of the JVM.

[The re-distribution license agreement] requires users to agree to an
'End User Agreement' that's not part of the license document. That's got a few weird clauses of its own,like

' If the version of JRockit you are licensing under this Agreement is
a “ pre-final,” “beta,” “technology preview,” or similar pre-production release (collectively, “Pre-final Versions”), as a condition to this license you agree to discontinue your use of the Pre-final Version and replace each copy of such Pre-Final Version with the successor general availability release as soon as it becomes available from BEA.' which is impossible to satify as BEA does not provide debian packages.

I don't follow you. Why would this clause require BEA ship Debian packages?

"Confidential Information shall be limited to the Software, the terms and pricing under this Agreement, and all information clearly identified as confidential."

So the license agreement is confidential? Are you sure that you're
allowed to post it to debian-java? That would explain why there is no URL to it ...

I asked to get a copy of it for the specific purpose of having it disected. But I agree the clause sounds silly, I'll ask about it.

"5.4 Distributor Indemnity. Distributor agrees to indemnify, defend and hold BEA harmless from and against any costs, losses, liabilities, claims or expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of representations or warranties made by Distributor or its agents in the distribution of any Value Added Solution. For any claim arising hereunder, BEA agrees (a) to reasonably cooperate with Distributor, (b) to notify Distributor promptly in writing of the claim, and (c) that Distributor shall have sole control of the defense and all related settlement negotiations."

I'd doubt that Debian would like to indemnify BEA any more than they
would like to indemnify Sun. :) That's always been one of the showstopper clauses with Sun's JRE, no real difference here, afaict.

I'd doubt that Debian would make any "representations or warranties [...] in the distribution". So unless Debian promises the world to users of the JRockit .deb, this point is a no-op for Debian.

 //Johan

Mailblocks - A Better Way to Do Email
http://about.mailblocks.com/info