Re: Eclipse and main

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 10:39, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > RHUG:  http://sources.redhat.com/rhug/ really  is cool.  The  only sad
> > thing is that it is all  build as RPMs done for RedHat systems.  Would
> > be really nice to also have real Debian packages of all his stuff.  (I
> > asked him  if he  would like someone  to maintain  debian dirs/control
> > files for RHUG and he would definitely appreciate that.)
>
> It's impressing!

Cool isn't it. I believe it is one of those public secrets that somehow
nobody hears about. The fact that most of it is only available through
CVS as source doesn't help to promote it much. But the gcj compiled
libraries and programs are so darn fast. They recently added a natively
compiled Eclipse compiler (called ecj) and the binary is faster then the
jikes compiler when producing byte code from java source files!

But there are now a couple of people who are trying to push some of this
in Red Hat their new Severn (open public community Red Hat distribution)
project. That would be really cool. But I don't really like switching
from my trusty and proven distribution. So I try to push a bit for
Debian packages. Maybe I should apply to be a Debian Maintainer and go
through the whole process if nobody else picks this up...

> I do not know the ant  internals but why not investigating in 'ant task'
> for gcj (maybe it already exists!) instead of autoconf/ automake/ make?

Anthony Green (the RHug maintainer) recently suggested to do this.
Traditional GNU people don't like Ant that much, but it is clear that
traditional java people don't like the auto* and libtool approach that
much. It must certainly be possible to come up with a real Ant task that
takes the information already available to create sources to classes
plus jars and Manifest files and turn it into the right invocations to
gcj to build shared librararies and/or native compiled programs.

Cheers,

Mark