Re: Java plugin advocacy

> * Rick Lutowski
>
> | (I have heard NS 4.x is 'dead', but it comprises about
> | 20% of the browser market, and they keep releaseing new
> | versions -- doesn't sound so dead to me!  But it remains
> | stuck at 1.1 also.  Go figure).
>
> I have no idea where your numbers are from, but my numbers (which
> consist of about four million hits per month on a hardware related
> news site) shows that Netscape is much smaller, something like 3-4%,
> Mozilla is about the same size.  MSIE has ~80%, Opera har ~6-7% and
> other browsers like lynx, konqueror and «other» has the rest.

Statistics for March for a site I have something to do with look like the
following.  The dominance of MSIE seems surprising in light of the fact that
you'd probably expect the site to get a whole lot of Linux traffic.  (The
Konqueror figures are interesting :-).)

Listing the top 20 browsers by the number of requests for pages, sorted by the
number of requests for pages.

 #:   #reqs: #pages: browser
--: -------: ------: -------
 1: 1233618: 617828: MSIE
  :  756403: 377739:   MSIE/5
  :  448298: 221635:   MSIE/6
  :   25056:  14879:   MSIE/4
  :     546:    296:   MSIE/3
  :      16:      9:   MSIE/8
  :       4:      2:   MSIE/7
  :       8:      1:   MSIE/9
 2:  263393: 138332: Netscape
  :  211725: 113194:   Netscape/4
  :   38247:  18561:   Netscape/6
  :    3897:   2167:   Netscape/3
  :     140:     85:   Netscape/2
  :      20:     20:   Netscape/17
  :      48:     19:   Netscape/9
  :      21:     14:   Netscape/666
  :      13:      7:   Netscape/1
  :       2:      1:   Netscape/0
  :       2:      1:   Netscape/197
 3:  129776:  76457: Mozilla
  :   93790:  45368:   Mozilla/0
  :    7178:   3753:   Mozilla/1
  :    1070:    415:   Mozilla/M18
 4:   82188:  46112: Opera
  :   54775:  31211:   Opera/6
  :   26741:  14450:   Opera/5
  :     360:    257:   Opera/3
  :     312:    194:   Opera/4
 5:   61743:  28248: Konqueror
  :   58819:  27006:   Konqueror/2
  :    2839:   1171:   Konqueror/3
  :      85:     71:   Konqueror/1
 6:   39921:  27478: Netscape (compatible)
 7:   26920:  26369: FAST-WebCrawler
  :   26920:  26369:   FAST-WebCrawler/3
 8:   16527:  15844: Wget
  :   16527:  15844:   Wget/1
 9:   15688:  15397: Googlebot
  :   15688:  15397:   Googlebot/2
10:   29039:  14305: Galeon
  :   21546:  10561:   Galeon/1
  :    5362:   2666:   Galeon/0
11:   10089:   9465: Scooter-W3.1.2
12:    6456:   5117: ia_archiver
13:    4720:   4680: larbin_2.6.0 larbin2.6.0@unspecified.mail
14:    4709:   4438: Lynx
  :    4508:   4246:   Lynx/2
  :     183:    183:   Lynx/2-4-2
15:    4276:   4205: ASPSeek
  :    4276:   4205:   ASPSeek/1
16:    4335:   3482: Teleport Pro
  :    4335:   3482:   Teleport Pro/1
17:    2868:   2851: larbin_2.6_basileocaml basile.starynkevitch@cea.fr
18:    2788:   2765: larbin_2.2.2 mjovanov@ececs.uc.edu
19:    1998:   1980: MumpitsCrawler
20:    1876:   1590: Openfind data gatherer, Openbot
  :    1876:   1590:   Openfind data gatherer, Openbot/3
  :   34042:  28163: [not listed: 715 browsers]
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc@" "sirhc"))
http://www.cbbrowne.com

--