Java2 libraries

I have an application that requires libjava.so, I found a version of Java2 from the Sun Java web site, I tried 1.3.1 and 1.4 src for jre1 and jsdk, however they require gcc 2.9.1 to compile.
1.4 will not un-shar at all. All I can find is Java for i386.

Problem I have Debian pa-risc ( hppa ) which uses gcc 3.0.4 :=(

Spent a whole day looking for a way to have java libs for hppa .

I confess I am new to Debian, Is there a source I can add to sources.list that contains java?

The application I need to install requires the libs even though I will only use the text version
of the application

regards

Phil