Re: deb for netbeans

Hi

I'll answer a lot of things in this tread at the same time.

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 06:37:14PM +0200, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Ainsi parlait Vendredi 3 Mai 2002 04:12, Matt Zimmerman :
> > On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 02:09:40AM +0200, Roman Kennke wrote:
> > > I wondered if there is a deb available for Netbeans? Its a great open
> > > source IDE, I think. Or is there something wrong with the license?

Assuing that it is nothing wrong with the netbeans license (DFSG compatible)
it can always go to contrib.

> > Assuming that it requires a Java2 virtual machine, it isn't useful with
> > software available in Debian, nor even with software in the non-free
> > archive, so the advantages of packaging it are substantially reduced.

No. The non-free section is not a part of debian. Packages in the contrib
section can depend on anything that is non free and still be distributable.
What it needs should be well described in its README.Debian file though.

> > Of course, no one can stop you from creating debs and distributing them, so
> > long as the software's license permits it (which it must if it is truly
> > Open Source).
> NetBeans also requires JavaHelp, and some non-free javac extensions only found
> in netbans binary release.

That is a bigger problem, but still solvable with good documentation
and the fact that theese parts should not be distributed in the package.

Yes the usefulness can be crippled.

> Apart this licensing problems, it is also quite difficult to build and run
> from external libraries. However, developpers were very friendly and
> comprehensive, and i succeded to create a rpm for jpackage project (with
> still minor problem, tough).

If the upstream is responsive "we" could probably help them to get
it easier to package.

> I'd be happy helping you if needed for creating a debian package, and also to
> submit a common request to netbeans developpers to make other way of building
> it easier in the future.

AOL.

Regards,

// Ola

> --
> Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr>
> GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html
>

> --

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |