Re: Debian Documentation and Specific HOWTOS

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 12:22 +1000, Julian De Marchi wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 12:27 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> >> IMO, this information belongs in the Debian Wiki.
> >
> > Ditto.  It makes no public sense to create a privately owned wiki for
> > Debian knowledge.  In fact, suggesting it piques ones interest wrt
> > underlying reasons.
> >

> What underlying reasons are you talking about?

Why host your own (ad revenue?, visitor tracking?, data ownership?,
etc.) when a perfectly good wiki already exists and is owned/managed by
the core group you want to help?  What would happen to the data when/if
you move on to Redhat or another distro? etc. etc.

> I have underlying reasons, except to help out.

:-) I'll take that to mean that you have NO underlying reasons other
than to help out.  That motive is admirable, but how do I (some guy in
another city) know that it applies?

> The debian wiki, does not have comprehensive howtos, and howtoforge has
> limited etch howtos. I thought it would be good to get some of the users
> on the mailing list with some great experience to write up some useful
> howtos for the etch release.

You do have an excellent idea, please don't think that I am against it.
I just think that the proper place for this data already exists.

-Jim P.