Blacklisting (postfix rbl) - recent issue with blackhole.securitysage.com

Hi folks,

Yesterday, I received multiple reports from users that they had trouble mailing us. After checking the maillog I discovered that blackhole.securitysage.com seemed to block a whole lot of mail to us (read: all)! I of course immediatly deleted this blacklist from our reject_rbls but the host blackhole.securitysage.com was just unreacheable (also see this page http://wiki.openrbl.org/wiki/Blackhole.securitysage.com). Now it seems weird that if the rbl host is unreachable Postfix decides to simply take that as a "ah well, just block everything then", or maybe something else was going on?

What are you thoughts on this?

maillog:

[....]
Mar 14 11:01:03 hostname postfix/smtpd[28035]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from hostname[ip]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [hostname] blocked using blackhole.securitysage.com; from=<address@addresss.com> to=<address@address.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<hostname>
[....]

Best regards,
Robert

--
Hensel Hosting
Overtoom 473 I

Please visit our web site: http://www.hensel.nl/
for more information about our products and services.

This email and any attachment is intended for the
addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you
are notified that no part of the email or any
attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed,
and that any other action related to this email or
attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.

If you are not the addressee, please notify the sender
immediately by return email, and delete this message.

Hensel Hosting and/or its employees shall not be liable
for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this
email or any attachments, nor responsible for any
delay in receipt.