Re: Recommendations for server: Intel E7520

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 13:59 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Guus Houtzager wrote:
> > worse behaviour as Jeff Garzik who coded it specifically says that ich5
> > and 6 will not have perfectly working hot swap. Ich7 will.
>
> ICH7 is full AHCI.  But later ICH6 are also AHCI, maybe those also do
> support proper hotplugging?  The first ICH6 revision was not AHCI and
> couldn't do things any better than a ICH5 AFAIK.
>
> I should hunt down the Intel datasheet and update specification sheet for
> the ICH6 one of these days.  Right now I don't have the time ;-)

Hehehe ;)
I did a little checking because I got rather curious and came across
this page: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/sb/cs-012304.htm
Excerpt:
* Intel® 82801GR I/O Controller Hub (ICH7R) - RAID and AHCI
  * Intel® 82801GH I/O Controller Hub (ICH7DH) - RAID and AHCI
  * Intel® 82801FR I/O Controller Hub (ICH6R) - RAID and AHCI
  * Intel® 82801FBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH6M) - AHCI only
ICH7 and ICH6-based chipsets, as well as ICH5 and ICH5R-based chipsets,
do not use AHCI.

So it seems you're right :) I don't have a machine with a ICH6R or M (or
newer) at hand, so I can't test :(
NCQ is a nice bonus to get with proper working hot swap too!

> BTW: If you own something from Intel, always read their spec updates/chip
> errata from time to time. That's how I got to know my ICH5 won't handle
> speeds above SATA-150 right, for example.  That information won't be found
> easily anywhere else.
>
> > libata patch. Afaik vanilla 2.6.14 does not have the necessary
> > ata-passthrough yet. If it does, please tell me how to turn it on,
>
> It doesn't, you need the patches.

Drat. I hope it merges into 2.6.15, because I'm not very handy with git
and the ready-to-apply patchkits on Jeff's kernel.org page aren't
available for all kernels.

> --
>   "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
>   them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
>   where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
>   Henrique Holschuh

Gotta love your .sig :)

Regards,

--
Guus Houtzager                           Email: guus@houtzager.net
PGP fingerprint = 5E E6 96 35 F0 64 34 14  CC 03 2B 36 71 FB 4B 5D