Re: Recommendations for new server model?

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 14:55 +0800, Jason Lim wrote:
> This is an unfortunate thing I have found in regards to the Debian
> installer. The RedHat/CentOS installer seems to be updated more
> frequently, that is, they come out with updated installation disks to
> support new hardware, so you have less of a problem using new hardware.
>
> Take a look at:
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/release-notes/as-zseries/RELEASE-NOTES-U2-en.html
>
> One of the BIG items is:
> The following device drivers are updated in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
> Update 2:
> Intel(R) PRO/1000 Ethernet adapter (e1000)
>
> This is true for many of the new motherboards using the new Intel chipsets
> supporting LGA775 CPUs (eg. those new dual core CPUs for example... can't
> remember the chipset number.. 945 i think?). I found we had to use a
> Realtek LAN card to grab updates to our new CentOS4.1, upgrade the kernel,
> then it detected the onboard e1000 LAN. Debian did not detect it at all
> :-(   After burning new CentOS4.2 CDs, the hardware is now auto-detected
> during install, much smoother...
>
> Perhaps there is a community site that has new kernel/hardware support
> Debian install CDs?

There are a few websites around with custom install images which support
the tg3 and e1000 chips amongst other things which I have used on other
systems without issue to get them running with debian. Of course you can
always do what you did, and temporarily install an older nic to update
the system to support the newer hardware.

Shane

PS: Please dont cc me, I do read the list.