Re: route to/from xover box

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 01:04 am, Mark Constable wrote:
> Not strictly Debian related but the boxes in question are deb powered.
> I have just been given a /28 (16 node) subnet and until I get a switch
> in place I have a short xover eth cable between two boxes. I thought I
> could get away with a couple of static routes in the mean time but the
> upstream default gateway on the first box keeps arping for the IP on
> the 2nd box... subnet is x.x.x.144/28 ...
>
>  x.x.x.145 <-> eth0:x.x.x.146 eth1:x.x.x.147 <-xover-> eth0:x.x.x.158
>
> Any suggestions as to how x.x.x.158 can see the outside world ?

Well, the gateway is ARPing for x.158 because it thinks it's on the same
network, which it isn't. Three suggestions :

1) reconfigure the gateway with a static route to x.158 through x.147.

2) configure ethernet bridging on x.147 through to x.158.

3) use a different subnet for the x.158 box. Of course this will require the
gateway to be reconfigured as well. Depending on what the x.158 machine needs
to do, it might be easier to give it a private IP address and NAT it through
the x.147 machine instead.

GPG : http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key