Re: Advice on remote kernel changes?

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 14:34, Peter Holm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there any tutorials / packages out there that address the
> situation of patching / upgrading / changing the installed kernel
> remotely?
>
> three main problems come to my mind that could bring a fatal situation
> of not being able to access the machine after a reboot:
>
> A kernel does not work with hardware for any reason and machine hangs
> B kernel / modules do not work with network device for any reason.
> C kernel does not start sshd for any reason
>
> How would one prevent this?
[...]

The best solution here is using serial consoles. This will enable you to
remotely access the bios and lilo boot menu, so you can reboot with an
older kernel when anything goes wrong with your new kernel.

Regards,

Teun Vink
Luna.nl NOC

--
BOFH excuse #196: Me no internet, only janitor, me just wax floors.