Re: Free Remote Network Monitoring

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:57:36AM -0500, Nick Mitchell wrote:
> Would anyone be interested in a "I scratch your back if you scratch mine"
> scenario? Maybe even more then one person/organization. Currently, we
> don't have a way to monitor our network from outside of our network.
>
> We would be more then happy to ping someone's router and if it goes down
> send an alert to an email, cell, whatever. For a return service of the
> same. We use mon.d alerts but if you have something else that is fine. I
> see it as being pretty hands off once we set it up and is a nice backup
> to what we already have.

A good idea would be to have two Mon installs trap to a central Mon
server that alerts if both report a failure:

 http://www.mail-archive.com/mon@linux.kernel.org/msg00714.html

A lot of people could pool resources into such a beast and come up with
a sort of consensus on whether or not there's trouble, and possibly
allow thresholds where if 30% of the monitors report failure an alert is
sent, etc.

Might be nice for us debian people to band together on this and have a
sort of community monitoring.
--
Nate Campi    http://www.campin.net