Neighbour table overflow problem

Dear list,

I have a linux 2.4 box running zebra and acting as a default gateway for
a number of machines.  I am concerned about "Neighbour table overflow"
output in my dmesg.  From some articles I've read on usenet, this is
related to the arp table becoming full.  Most of the posters solved
their problems by configuring a previously unused loopback interface, or
realizing that they had a /8 configured on one IP interface and a router
on their subnet that was using proxy-arp to fulfill the arp requests.

Neither of those is my situation, though.  I simply have a lot of hosts
on the segment.  When the network is busy I've seen as many as 230+ arp
entries, but it never seems to break 256.  Is this an artificial limit
on the number of entries that can be present in my arp table?  If so, I
would like to increase the limit by to 2048 or so and give myself some
headroom.  I am concerned that might slow down packet forwarding, but I
can probably live with that.

Has anyone on the list encountered similar problems?  If so, is this the
approach you took to solve them or did you do something else?

Thanks,

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw@five-elements.com>

root@mr0.chcgil1# uname -a
Linux mr0 2.4.20 #1 Mon Dec 16 14:13:15 CST 2002 i686 unknown
root@mr0.chcgil1# arp -an |wc -l
    239