Re: RBL - Back to basics

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 10:34:09AM +1000, Glenn Hocking wrote:
> Hi again
>
> However from a 'email service provider' point of view (as per my
> original email) I do not wish to block ANY legitimate email. The more
> spam that is bounced the better BUT my requirement is purely 'If it
> blocks legitimate email, the rbl is useless'.
>
> I can not afford for my customers to have legitimate email go missing,
> even if a bounce message is sent, which just informs my customers that I
> am dictating what mail they can and can't receive.

That is just not possible.  If you run wide open, then you will get
so much spam that you will lose legitimate email in the spam when the
human sits down to parse it.  Let alone the waste of time doing it.
Let alone the DOS issues and extra bandwidth/gear.  As broadband
becomes more widespread, the spam mushrooms and as long as people
insist on keeping the gates open it will grow.

Sadly, the rbl MUST block legitimate email to be of any effect.

The human animal will waste any free resource.  How's THAT for starting
an OT thread.  :-)