RBL - Back to basics

Hi again

Really the comparison between rbl lists is academic. It is good that there are many different and evolving systems to block spam accordingly with different success rates.

However from a 'email service provider' point of view (as per my original email) I do not wish to block ANY legitimate email. The more spam that is bounced the better BUT my requirement is purely 'If it blocks legitimate email, the rbl is useless'.

I can not afford for my customers to have legitimate email go missing, even if a bounce message is sent, which just informs my customers that I am dictating what mail they can and can't receive.

Most of the other posts to this forum seem to indicate that a lot of ISPs are using both conservative and aggressive anti spam lists. Can a few of you forward any experiences you have had dealing with customers (corporate and individual) who have had legitimate email bounced and what remedies you have had to implement to keep you customers happy.

I for one keep adding RBL lists but get complaints within 24 hours from clients who had had email go missing so consequently remove the lists. I thought about doing the anti spamming at user level but think that if one customer complains that their email has gone missing, it won't be long before another customer has the same problem with the mail server in question.

Best regards
Glenn Hocking
Publish Media Pty Ltd

http://www.sitegeneral.com