Re: failure notice (about relays.osirusoft.com)

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 02:23:11AM +1000, Jason Lim wrote:
> > says, and I quote, "Zentek (Jason Lim) is a spam-house, Iadvantage
> > tolerates spammers.
>
> Thats right... because I'm one of the first people to complain about
> this and probably the most vocal (and I'll continue to do so until
> others see the truth). Maybe the other people in HK don't have good
> enough English to argue the support themselves, but I do, and they
> can't just go around bashing HK all they want without someone putting
> up a fight.

if you really cared about the issue, you'd be a lot more productive if
you spent your energies explaining to chinese-speaking sysadmins what
the spam problem is, why they've been black-listed and what they can do
to get off the list.  that would be far more effective than whining on
english-speaking mailing lists and newsgroups.

given the SPEWS listing, though, it looks like you're possibly a spammer
or spamhaus rather than just an end-user suffering collateral damage.  i
hope that's not the case.

> BTW, I'd be very happy if iAdvantage was owned by me... it being a
> multimillion dollar, publically listed corporation and all. I'm
> actually kind of flattered that SPEWS thinks I'm running the show
> there.
>
> We're one of their customers using their bandwidth... they are one of
> the highest performance bandwidth facilities in HK which is why we use
> them for our bandwidth.

whether you like it or not, anyone can block email on their own servers
using whatever criteria they choose.  you do NOT have a right to have
your mail accepted.  nobody does.  that choice rests with the recipient
server.

you have two choices:

1. explain to your ISP why they shouldn't be supporting spammers and get
them to enforce an anti-spam policy.

2. move to an ISP which doesn't support spammers.  if enough people did
this and told them why, your current ISP might finally acquire a clue
and change their ways.

i recommend trying option 1 first and then, if that fails, option 2.

> iAdvantage provides bandwidth to many hundreds of large corporations
> in HK... overall i'd say many thousands of websites are hosted there
> (mostly Chinese probably). So with one fell swoop all these sites can
> no longer send email properly. Can we say collateral damage to the
> max?

so what?  telstra and ozemail (the latter is owned by uunet) here in
australia host thousands of legitimate businesses, and actually show
some signs of pursuing an anti-spam policy.  they still get black-listed
(and rightly so) when they're caught running open relays or refuse to
terminate a spammer's account.   the truth is that it is ONLY the fact
that various RBLs will list them that has forced them to have an
anti-spam policy and actually enforce it.

unless it affects their bottom-line (i.e. when the costs of supporting
spam are greater than the profits from supporting spam), they don't care
and they're not going to do anything about it.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.