radiusd-livingston 2.1-6

Hello all,

  I've recently been charged with migrating a redhat linux server
running livingston radius to a new machine running debian 3.0.
  So far all is well except for radius.  We have been unable to get it
to authenticate any users when radtest'ing from a remote machine (since
for some reason the package doesn't come with radtest).
  The proxy seems set up right, and the request comes to the machine,
but it always gets this error message

'Aug 14 09:02:04 www radius[536]: auth: access-request from
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/1650.159 denied for unknown user "$user"'

where $user is a user in the passwd/shadow file and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is
the IP of the remote machine.

The startup gives this message in the auth.log

Aug 14 09:01:54 www radius[534]: /usr/sbin/radiusd: Livingston RADIUS
2.1 1999/6/23  NDBM NOSHADOW dbm_users

is the NOSHADOW a problem? (since shadow passwords are in use), if so
how does one change that?

I've been using builddbm to build the database.  Here is the excerpt
from my users file

DEFAULT Auth-Type = System, Framed-Protocol = PPP
        Service-Type = Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP,
        Framed-IP-Address = 255.255.255.254,
        Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.255,
        Framed-MTU = 1500,
        Framed-Routing = None,
        Idle-Timeout = 1200,
        Session-Timeout = 21600,
        Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP,
        Port-Limit = 1

Also, specifically adding a user to the top i.e. Bob Password="blah"
gives the same error message as well.  Any pointers would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks,

Todd