Logrotate weekly prerotate everyday?

Hello Folks:

I call a local script from...

   /etc/logrotate.d/apache

...in Debian 3.0 to run Analog reports. It is supposed to run once a week, but it runs every day:

  /var/log/apache/*.log {
          weekly
          missingok
          rotate 52
          compress
          delaycompress
          notifempty
          create 640 root adm
          sharedscripts
          postrotate
                  /etc/init.d/apache reload > /dev/null
          endscript
          # -- added by ward 28Jul02
          prerotate
                  /etc/run_weekly_analog_reports.sh
          endscript
          # -- end ward
  }

My tiny mind thinks a "prerotate" block should only be executed "weekly" once it has been decided to perform a rotation. Not every time cron/logrotate peeks into this "apache" file. What as I missing?

(I have fixed the problem by checking the day of the week in my local reporting script, but I'd still like to understand my disconnect with Perfect Understanding of the One True Way(tm).)

Thanks,

-- Ward