Re: Newbie: Is there a basic Debian-for-ISP HOWTO?

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 10:55:58AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> exim is basically smail done right.
>
> it's adequate for a small site with low mail volumes, but it doesn't
> scale very well.

Have you got some real experimental data about exim's scalability
or just guessing?

> IMO, exim is a poor choice of default MTA by debian.  unfortunately,
> that choice was made before postfix was a viable alternative.  there
> have been a few attempts to get the default MTA changed, it gets
> discussed for a few days or weeks, most people agree that it would be
> a good thing to do, but nothing happens.

IMO, exim and postfix are comparable and there's no huge difference
which favours one of them. I use exim in all my installations, they are
usually small to medium size, but even with big ones, I would consider
exim as a good MTA.

Marcin

--
Windows 2000: A reliable comprehensive and integrated operating system
              platform delivering seamless interoperability, scalability,