Re: Compiling courier on potato

Hello Jeff

I tried it, and I can answer my own question ...

On 9 Mar 2001, at 23:26, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="I. Forbes">
>
> > I was looking at the unstable debian package for Courier,
> > courier_0.31.1-2.dsc.
> >
> > What chances are there to get this to compile on potato, or should I
> > just stick with the source distribution?
>
> Funny, I've been trying the same thing. :) I have emailed the maintainer
> about my problem too, but as yet have not received a reply. These are the
> final lines of the unsuccessful build:

It builds fine, but there are a few bugs ...

> debian/fixlinks /home/jdub/src/debian/courier/courier-0.31.1/debian/tmp/usr/sbin
> make: execvp: debian/fixlinks: Permission denied
> make: *** [install] Error 127

I had to change the permissions on "debian/fixlinks" to make it
executable.

Then I had to add a line:

"MAILDIR=Maildir"

to /etc/init.d/courier-imap to set that environment variable so it
would find my Maildir directories.  I think courier-pop may need the
same.

The installation trashed the contents of /etc/pam.d/imap (I took a
copy from the potato courier-imapd package) and I had to fiddle
with /etc/courier/imapd to get it to authenticate.  I have not setup the
pop3d, but I would expect similar problems.

I had to add a few symbolic links to get sqwebmail to work, but I
have still not managed to get it to authenticate.  (My source code
compilation did authenticate, so there can't be too much missing).

I think these may be general bugs in an unstable package, as
opposed to potato specific.  I have a number of site where I would
like to deploy this package, and if it can be by means of an
upgradeable *.deb, it will be worth the effort.

Cheers

Ian

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 +21 683-1388  Fax: +27 +21 64-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa