Re: Journaling FS for Production Systems

Paul Fleischer dijo:
> Hard to say, however, I have had some serious crashes with reiserfs.

So have I.

> At one point it blew my partition into pieces, at a reinstall was
> needed (reiserfs from kernel 2.4.8).

Reiserfs used to be stable enough and performance overhead was not
really noticeable (I'd reccomend 2.4.7 and 2.4.9. Never 2.4.5).

I had the great idea (tm) of rebooting with a previous kernel version,
and the journal was lost, mangled or whatever. So was my data. MP3s
became HTMLs and so on. There were files I couldn't ls or delete, even
as root, but I could move them around. Weird.

Reinstall and back to ext2. No big deal, I find it stable enough ;-) and
don't trust journaling anymore ;-) This is my little trauma.

Please share positive journaling experiences so that I can overcome it
:-)

--
Open your mind, and your ass will follow    - Michael Balzary, aka Flea, RHCP

 Amaya Rodrigo Sastre       www.andago.com  Sta Engracia, 54  28010 Madrid
 BOFH-dev && CVS Evangelist                 Tfn: 912041124    Fax: 912041111
 Listening to: James Brown - I got you (I feel good)