Re: Mail server

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 01:55, James wrote:
> I'm going to be setting up a mail server (Exim + uwimapd + IMP webmail)
> that will serve about 300-500 users.
>
> There will not be a major amount of traffic being put through it and was
> wondering if anyone had any cost effective hardware recommendations for
> CPU/RAM/HD space?

As someone else already mentioned the hardware requirements vary a lot
depending on the details of the use.

I know of one site that was using a fully loaded Sun E450 to serve mail for
<1000 users (LAN connected and mailing MS-Word document attachments around
all day).

OTOH I've setup small ISP servers with 300 accounts on machines that make a
P-233 look grunty.

In terms of bang for buck I once ran a university mail server for 27,000
accounts mostly using POP but also some mutt and elm use.  It ran on a
machine that was a very old RS/6000 that gave similar performance to my
Thinkpad on most benchmarks.  Of course that machine didn't perform too well
until I replaced the mbox stores with Maildir and used hashing for
/etc/passwd...