Re: Reasons why sending with Exim can be slow?

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 12:40:21AM +0300, Antti Tolamo wrote:

> What are they? Above apply only while sending from local network.
>
> It's not a hosts, problem and I don't run it from inetd. No other
> service has similar problems. I even reinstalled exim again.
>
> It's not fault on OS's on local computer(unless it affects only port 25) as
> I have 98/2000 on same computer, and both of them have same problem with mail.
>
> All networking otherwise works perfectly from LAN to email server. Exim.conf
> is same as before, I even recopied from backups my old one to be sure.

In 90% of such situations the problem was DNS (or lack of it).

1) Enable maximum logging in debugging where possible
   (exim, bind, ...).
2) Play with `host' and `dig' utilities to check whether DNS and
   reverse-DNS records for all hosts are present.
3) Try to telnet manually to port 25 and send some mail.
   Notice when the delay occurs.
4) Read logs.
5) Goto 1) :)

Wanted

  |  Sekcja Obslugi Informatycznej Biblioteki Glownej     !!!  !!! .!!!!!!  +
  |  Uniwersytet Gdanski                                  !!!  !!! !!!      |
  +  tel. (058) 5509436                                   !!!  !!! !!!  `!! |