Re: need advise: productive HDD is down

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Russell Coker wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:16, Dmitry Litovchenko wrote:

> > fsck (e2fsck) refuses to fix anything telling different things on
> > different partitions, "Cannot mount FAT due to some blah blah blah" or
> > "superblock is damaged try to run e2fsck -b 8193 blah blah blah" which
> > is also failed (I mean e2fsck -b 8193).
>
> debugfs is one program that may be able to help.  Also trying the -b8193
> option may help too...

Some time ago I managed to destroy my /home (ran mkswap on it....). e2fsck
also failed on it and suggested to do a -b 8193 which also failed. After
reading the manpage I found out that since a few years the position of the
backup superblocks depend on the blocksize. For filesystems with 1k
blocksizes, a backup superblock can be found at block  8193; for
filesystems with 2k blocksizes, at block 16384; and for 4k blocksizes, at
block 32768. Maybe using -b 32768 will help ??

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan