Re: xfs, reiserfs, ext2 and sync directory updates

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 02:00:13PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> Causes of mail loss I've seen include failings of Sun Cluster manager (which
> trashes file systems and presumably loses files).  Crashes of commercial mail
> server software also tends to lose lots of mail.  Then there's the issue of
> stupid mail servers that are based on databases (a company I know of was
> considering "rm -rf" on a directory containing 500,000 mail boxes because
> they thought it would take 48 hours to rebuild the indexes).

Reminds me of an ISP that has equipiment in the same room as where I
work.  They just happen to be running NT and the software they using
keeps all the mail in database.  I had to laugh when I heard it was down
for more than a week because the indexes became corrupted and they had
to rebuild them.  The fact that they are running NT alone explains how
competent their administrators would be though.  Apparentally the
software they are using can't handle more than 5000 or so accounts.

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia