Re: routing problems with 6to4 IPv6?

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 04:55:00PM +1000, Anand Kumria wrote:
> So for giskard (router) I can't have a default route and for
> caliban (host) I should use link-local address. It looks to
> be working now.

Generally 'routers' cannot use ipv6 default routes.  When they (those
wacky kernel people) mean routers, I think they mean a host with more
than one interface.

You're not the first person to get caught by this, as it says at
http://people.debian.org/~csmall/ipv6/setup.html

 Default routes bounce packets. Having a default route in Linux for IPv6
 can often lead to severe hair loss as you tear whatever is remaining
 out. For reasons best left to the kernel hackers, using default routes
 just doesn't work right (ok you may be lucky). Use 2000::0/3 instead.

Very annoying and it gives very wierd results.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>