sporatic failure to boot on sgi750

I'm having sporatic failures to boot on an sgi750 (2x733MHz Merced)
which I've recently obtained. Once the system is up, however, it's rock
solid, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. Also, the problem
occurs whether booting from CD or booting from the hard drive. If I try
to boot from the CD, the error looks like this:

CD:
Uncompressing Linux... done
[ flashing cursor mocks me until i reboot ]

HD:
Uncompressing Linux... done
[ flashing cursor mocks me until i reboot ]

Only difference is the path to initrd.gz. Debian etch 4r3 and 4r4 boot
cds both have the same problem. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or
reason I can discern to the failures, which occur on 1/2 to 2/3 of
boots. It looks like the same problem as:

Is anyone else having this problem? I know it's a long shot to ask here,
but does anyone know of a workaround for this issue or have other ideas
or URLs with information besides the bug report?

Thanks!
Brian Szymański