theoretical a simple question... :)

Dear Users

I bought a new HP Notebook with a Core 2 Duo Processor. Now, I don't
know which one is the right debian-architecture for this system. Is the
ia64 the right? If so, google shows me a lot of messages because there
isn't the most software not yet written for 64bit systems? Is this
right? And if so, don't run this (32-bit) Applications not or only in
32bit mode? Else, I would prefer i386-Architecture, but with SMP or not?

Sorry this stupid questions, but I don't found the answers with google.

Many thanks for all ideas and help!

Have a nice evening.

Raphael