Re: Itanium, Worth it?

> But first I would like to ask how satisfied people are with their
> itaniums. Do you get the performance you expected?
> Does compiled code take good advantage of the multiple
> execution units?

I haven't done any formal measurements, but it seems to me that since we
started the Debian port ~3 years ago, the toolchain, kernels, etc have
improved dramatically. At gcc-summit there were a lot of discussions and
interest in improving gcc to take advantage of the ia64 architecture,
so I suspect things will continue to improve.

You can see some stats at http://buildd.debian.org/stats/

> I tend to KDE for the desktop and would plan to use the
> QuadroPro Nvidia card. I see on Nvidia site they do have
> the driver set. Any problems?

The free nv driver that comes with xfree86 works fine, but the
3d performance is fairly poor.  I have had some problems using
hardware glx with the binary nvidia driver, but i haven't tried it
recently. i know others have gotten it to work tho...

my 2 cents :)
randolph
--
Randolph Chung
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, hppa/ia64 ports