Re: Translation of xscreensaver

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 11:30:55PM +0200, Hendrik Knackstedt wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm a Ubuntu German translator and I'm pretty new to translating
> packages that are originally provided by Debian or another Upstream
> project. If I got this right, the package »xscreensaver« has no Upstream
> translation project, but is translated by Debian and should be imported
> to Ubuntu from here, is that right?

Umm, not reallly.

Upstream of xscreensaver lives at http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/
Debian takes it from there, creates a .deb package, which eventualy
ends up in Ubuntu.

It is always good to make the translation as much upstream as
possible, because then it automatically ends up in the downstream
projects without any special effort.

> If so, where can I get the original .po-translation-file for
> xscreensaver to complete the translation?

You should:

* download the latest source code from
  http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/download.html

* update the po/de.po file

* send it to the upstream author

The translation will appear in Debian/Ubuntu as soon as new upstream
version of xscreensaver will be released.

--
Miroslav Kure